Fresh from his win of the U/8 division of the Asian Youth Chess Championship in Bali, Rheyansh was also interviewed. See the link below. Thanks to Casey for the link.
Category Archives: Junior
A champion in the making!
A big congratulations to our own junior Rheyansh, who has continued his excellent overseas form, winning the U/8 division of the Asian Youth Chess Championship in Bali.
The tournament result page link is below. Well done Rheyansh, we’re all very proud of your achievements!! Keep aiming and flying high!
He previously played in our club’s juniors tournaments organized by Tony Davis and now has graduated to playing in the club’s open category. Rheyansh is on target for the Candidate Master title (which will be made permanent once he reaches 2000 rating).
Rheyansh at the World Youth Championships
Rheyansh is currently competing in the World Youth Chess Championships in Georgia, ranked as the 4th seed in the U8s. Rheyansh has won his first 2 games, below is a link to his 3rd match tonight (subsequent rounds can also be found in due course).
Annapureddy, Rheyansh Reddy vs. Nguyen Truong An Khang | U8 World Youth Championship 2022 | chess24.com
Go Rheyansh!! HBCC is very proud of how far your chess has come. All the best in this exciting opportunity!
Koshnitsky cup Junior results
Congratulations to all the winners for Koshnitsky Cup Junior 2022. Prize presentation will be scheduled end of the year.
- 1st: Lingineni, Khushal (medal)
- 2nd: Arumalla, Anjana Reddy (certificate)
- 3rd: Ma, Yat Alfred (certificate)
- 1st: Shenbagakumar, Srishakthi (medal)
- 2nd: Chan, Abby (certificate)
- 3rd: Syed, Habibah (certificate)
- 1st: Bodke, Krishna (medal)
- 2nd: Gill, Noah (certificate)
- 3rd: Venkatesh, Arvind (certificate)
Arbiter Award for Most Improved: Schreiber, Kenny (certificate)
**Tie Breaker is based on Buchholz Cut 1 and Buchholz
Warmest Regards, Casey Goh
Juniors information and ratings re Koshnitsky Cup
Please find a summary of the announcement which will affect junior competitions organised under Hobson Bay Chess Club banner.
Australian Chess Federation (ACF) has advised that our upcoming and past junior tournaments shall not be registered for ACF rating due to a lack of rated juniors (to circulate the ratings around).
- As a result of our discussion, HBCC has decided to rate junior competitions via Tornelo instead
- The $5 ACF rating fees for the past tournaments (Hobson Bay Juniors and Western Juniors) will be refunded to the players. Please see Steve Hogan for your refund.
- HBCC will be exploring alternative plans to get juniors rated in ACF
- For recently concluded Hobson Bay Cup Juniors 2022 tournament, please register your child in Tornelo so we can get your child rated:(https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/hobsonbaychessclub/events/koshnitsky-juniors-cup-2022/summary). See the attached guide on how to register for the event.
- Please ensure that you complete your child’s registration latest by Monday 15/08/2022.
As part of club’s tradition, Matthew Whitford has volunteered to provide free ½ hour coaching session prior to the kickoff of each round (from 6:00 PM- 6:30 PM)
No need to register for this free coaching session, just show up earlier with your notebook and writing materials.
Round 1 results
1 = Arumalla,Anjana Redd - Gopalan,Pradyun = 2 - 10 = 1 - 0 2 = Jha,Aadvik - Bo,Jeremy = 11 - 3 = 1 - 0 3 = Chan,Abby - Kothari,Sumay = 4 - 12 = 0 - 1 4 = Lingineni,Khushal - Christian,Gavin = 13 - 5 = 1 - 0 5 = Das,Ayush - Ma,Yat Alfred = 6 - 14 = 0 - 1 6 = Santoso,Crystin - Gill,Cyrus = 15 - 7 = 1 - 0 7 = Gill,Noah - Venkatesh,Arvind = 8 - 18 = 0 - 1 8 = Zhao,Frank - Bodke,Krishna = 19 - 21 = 0 - 1 9 = Bodke,Sahasra - Samuel,Jrue = 22 - 20 = ½ - ½ 10 = Schreiber,Kenny - ( half point bye ) = 1 - 0 = ½ 11 = Goh,Nicholas - ( half point bye ) = 9 - 0 = ½ 12 = Syed,Habibah - ( half point bye ) = 16 - 0 = ½ 13 = Syed,Hafsa - ( half point bye ) = 17 - 0 = ½
Western Junior results
The list of prize winners for the Junior western event can be found here. Congrats to all that participated, and to the winners. Many thanks to Casey for running this event.
Hobson Bay Cup Juniors 2022 Final Standings￼
The Juniors have completed their Hobsons Bay Cup, with full results available here. But a summary of the top place getters is below:
Open Under 1000 category
- Champion: Ma,Yat Alfred (medal + certificate)
- 1st Runner up: Mogullapalli,Advaith (certificate)
- 2nd Runner up: Nadella,Hitansh (certificate)
- Champion: Arumalla,Anjana Reddy (medal + certificate)
- 1st Runner up: Santoso,Crystin (certificate)
- 2nd Runner up: Syed,Habibah (certificate)
Open Under 500 category
- Champion: Cyrus, Noah (medal + certificate)
- 1st Runner up: Schreiber,Kenny (certificate)
- 2nd Runner up: Prideaux,Heidi (certificate)
Arbiter Award for most improved- Abby Chan (certificate)
Junior calendar has been updated
The current junior calendar has its own page now on this site. See here for details for all 2022 dates. It can also be fonud ofrom our home page, looking under the Juniors @ HBCC drop down.
Note that all junior events are ACF rated.
Junior chess to return to Hobsons Bay Chess
We are excited and pleased to announce that we will be running junior chess at our venue on Tuesday nights, starting on the 17 May from 630pm (finishing by 830pm). These events will be vital to cultivate long-term chess interest through the club, and to fill a need for the local junior chess players. Many thanks to Casey Goh for running with this idea and making it a reality!
Full details are still being worked through, but there will be a junior membership fee (proposed to be $50) per annum, as well as a $10 tournament fee (for each tournament entered). This is to cover costs, prizes, etc. These junior events will also be ACF rated.
There is a participation form to be completed by a guardian/parent, that will appear on the web site soon, but it is also attached to this post. Please print it and sign before we start.
Junior Chess Coaching
We realise that not all juniors can compete at our club, until they get better! To help with that, for any juniors who would like to enrol in chess classes, Chess Academy Australia operates around the Point Cook, Hoppers Crossing and Werribee areas. The contact for these classes is Phil Minichelli who can be contacted on the following details:
Mobile: 0478 604 601
Adults who are interested in chess coaching positions are also welcome to contact Phil.